As winter settles in, changes in the skin are normal which requires us to adjust our regimens. Unfortunately, just adding a rich cream into mix will not withstand the reduction of ceramides and keratin that makes up our natural moisturization factor. Follow these steps to help maintain healthy supple skin throughout the coldest time of year.
- DO: Focus on gentle cleaners. Remove makeup with an oil-based cleanser first as they can also help improve moisturization in the skin . I am partial to oil as opposed to balms as I have found balms pore clogging. Follow oil cleansing with a mildly acidic cleanser like Environ's Mild Cleansing Lotion or Green Envee's Soothe Cream Cleanser.
- AVOID: Soaps, water only, abrasive scrubs and acid-based cleansers daily as they can easily destroy the waterproofing barrier of the skin.
- DO: A mild AHA toner like Environ's Botanical Moisturizing Toner or Derma-Lac Lotion. Low doses of lactic or glycolic acid can help promote moisture in the skin. Lactates also inhibits of pigment production, so it a win-win for most skin.
- AVOID: Highly acidic or regular use of salicylic toners as this can further strip the skin of essential protection.
- DO: Start using vitamin A. Vitamin A is stimulates natural moisturising factors. If you have never used vitamin A, start low and go slow with the Environ's Step Up System starting with AVST Moisturizer 1.
- AVOID: High retinoid products.
- DO: Focus on gentle exfoliation 1-2x/week. I recommend Environ's Alpha Hydroxy Night Cream for an easy set it and forget it exfoliation while you sleep.
- AVOID: Overusing at home peeling pads. This is one track way to disrupt the skin's barrier and damage the skin which can lead to pigment problems and breakouts.
- DO: Focus on ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, panthanol and urea that help skin retain its moisture. One of favorite creams is marketed as a masque, but a dream as a winter moisturizer, Green Envee's Restore Hydration Masque. Apply facial oil like Vahati Oil over moisturizer at night to boost effects of blocking water loss through the skin.
- AVOID: Using only Vaseline or Aquafor. If you prefer this method, couple it with layering as mentioned above. Apply moisturizer first and then occlude.